5.13.2009

New Project

I'm finally beginning something that may define a direction in my life (besides the direction of never finishing school, never moving out and always pretending like I know what I'm talking about). I'm training to teach English to refugees and immigrants in the Salt Lake area. Since Salt Lake is a United Nations refugee location, we apparently have many of them. While it's going to be a lot of work, I think it will be really rewarding. I didn't expect to have so much homework with it though. I'm happy to be doing this but I may have picked the wrong time to do it. It's like I added another class to this semester. I thought it would be great for two or three hours a week but it turns out that I will be making my own lesson plans and catering the teaching to what my student(s) need most at the time. I thought I would have set lesson plans and the like. I thought wrong. The discussion in the training class made me realize just how much I don't know. I don't know bus schedules. I don't know the ins and outs of downtown Salt Lake. I've had everything handed to me throughout my life! I have a never ending education, a vehicle, employment, the ability to communicate easily with those around me (mostly)...anyway, I'm tired and prone to rambling. The point is that I'm happy to finally be doing something really beneficial for people who really need it. I'm finally gaining a purpose to exist. And now I think I'm being a brag-a-potamus. I don't think I'll ever be able to cop to a legitimate reason for existence. 

Now, do I abuse this new found power? I can teach them anything I want... OH COME ON! I would NEVER! I only purposely mislead small children and people I have no respect for. 

3 comments:

Amber said...

Good luck Melissa! Sounds like such a great thing. I love teaching, it is so rewarding.

BrianF$ said...

Hey, you're updating your blog again! I thought it was as dead as mine. It will be a good project. Where will your classes be held? Maybe I'll drop in and act like a Croatian or something.

Unknown said...

hey- My friend Kelly does this too. Do you remember him? Anyway, if you feel like it send him an email he is always willing to share his knowledge!!