It was time for a break. I thought about Europe but I could take only a few days off of work and school. Not to mention that when I go to Europe I don't plan on coming back for a while. There is no way to experience Europe in a weekend. Hawaii came up but after my last trip to Hawaii, it wasn't my first choice. When it came right down to it, I needed to go somewhere and the island of Oahu won the bid. Even though things got off to a rocky start when my travel buddy's plans fell through and she couldn't get a flight onto the island with any airline, I was determined to make this trip better than the last. I did miss you travel buddy! I learned that traveling by yourself is kind of awesome though...if you like being completely selfish with your vacation. I ended up really enjoying myself.
This is a view from my hotel room looking west. Waikiki beach is about a block or two south of here. I really liked this view. The lights at night were great and it had a great view of the mountains to the north which are usually covered with low hanging, purple and gray clouds. Very dramatic in the right light.
I rented a car. Those Dollar Car Rental guys...hilarious. A PT Cruiser? Really? Hmmm, what could PT stand for...Pathetically Tragic...Potently Toxic... Potentially Traumatising? All I know is that when Paul McCartney gave Heather Mills one to drive, her barely literate and questionably legal friend thought that it was grounds for divorce. Maybe that's what did it. Nice work Paul. Way to ruin your marriage.
These are some shots from Waikiki. This is the beach that totally ruined my last trip. We made up this time but only because I didn't spend every waking moment here. We just needed some time and space. If you want to learn Japaneese, just hang out here for a few hours. You will pick up the basics in no time. These photos were taken before the crowds arrived and if you ask me, it's worth it to be out at 6:30 A.M. to avoid the scantily clad masses.
(That's Diamond Head. Diamonds not included. Also, I don't know that guy in the water. You can kind of tell because he isn't waiving at me.)
On day two, there was a parade. A local woman sat next to me and explained some things about it. She had a hard time focusing though so I'm still a little fuzzy about what the parade commemerates. It has something to do with King Kameahmeah. She did make it a point to tell me that the locals are still fighting to get their land back though. It was an awkward conversation stopper. I don't really think she thought about what abandoning statehood would entail and I didn't really want to get into some political debate over the merits of having some kind of larger power backing you when you are just a small chain of islands in the middle of the Pacific. I was on vacation after all and not long after, these guys came by. My attention was diverted.
Each island was represented with a Queen and her court. Not pictured: members from all of the military instalments on the island, not one but TWO Missouri high school marching bands, and a Police motorcycle unit from Indianapolis? I don't know why either. Maybe it has something to do with battleships or possibly, King Kameahmeah was just a fan of the officer who could stand up on his bike and drive down the road.
...andd Kualoa Ranch. This was by FAR my favorite part of the island. For all of those "Lost" fans out there, this is one of their filming locations. I only made it into the parking lot but I am totally tempted to go back and spend a few days here.
The horses were really well taken care of and curious about me. This one walked up and shoved his head in my shot. I had to pat his nose before he went back about his business. As soon as he moved away, another took his place. Love those Hawaiian horses!
And finally, the shot that made this trip truly perfect. Four words - Dog the Bounty Hunter. While I didn't see him or any of his family members personally, I'm sure we would have busted some heads, shared some fashion tips, and then had some good laughs about busting heads and fashion tips together. 






8 comments:
OOOOH I want to go! Looks like you had a fun time. I feel so much better now that I know you know where Dog's office is. It is really real.
I think the trip as a whole is classic. I am just glad you weren't in France and that you aren't 18. Otherwise this situation could have been tragic. Though Jake would have "Liam Nissaned" (s/p) you out of there.
I love how we both have the adventure bug! I find myself getting restless about every 3 months too! That is why we got along so well as kids.. we kept each other entertained! You must save up for Europe, it's one of the best placed I've been!
I love you Melissa...you are making me laugh. Did you know I love Dog? I was also distracted by those hulking hawaiian men.
Melissa, You are Awesome! Who else could have been so successful at turning a lemon into lemonade? I am sure that you could not have been in better company!
You are hilarious! What a fun vacation. And thank you; now I know where Arnold Frieberg got his models for all of his Nephi/Moroni paintings.
Is that Halsey as in our cousin Halsey that posted above? If so, I totally need access to her blog. Pass the word along.
This trip looks grand. I wish I could have been your travel buddy.
You are so funny! I really had a great time reading this post!! By the way there is this girl in my ward that needs a traveling companion. She is always traveling! I think she's about your age. She wants to go to Machu Picchu but none of her friends likes the idea much. Crazy huh?
Post a Comment