9.26.2008

These shoes were made for travlin'

One day last spring, I got a package on my doorstep. It was wrapped in magazine paper and had no discernible return address on it. I was a little nervous opening it, what with the uni bomber and anthrax and all. Surprise! Brooke sent me a "get into summer" present! Who thinks of this stuff? And what did I find inside? A colorful tote and bright pink flip-flops. That Brooke is one cool girl. Really, I'm so deficient in my gift giving. 

Last night, walking around the house in my now faded pink flip-flops, I realized just how many places these little shoes have been with me. They have been on beaches in California, Alaska and Costa Rica. They never left my feet in Alaska. If you saw the trailer I lived in, you would understand. Then to Costa Rica. Again, they never left my feet what with the stray geckos around the house and all . I even forgot I was wearing them one morning and they walked the streets of San Jose to school with me. I don't really recommend flip-flops on the streets of San Jose...you really want closed toed shoes down there. I think the reason they aren't black is because I showered with them on every day in both places.  Now, they are protecting my feet in the ongoing construction (destruction) zone that is my house and also from random kitty puke surprises. I don't think Brooke knew what she was giving me when she sent me my "get into summer" present. She thought they were just fun, bright pink, slightly large, Old Navy flip-flops. Really, they were protection from trailer carpet bugs, 3rd world country shower fungus, sand crabs, and stray nails and staples. Thanks Brooke! From the bottom of my feet :) 

P.S. Although this new blog background doesn't convey my excitement for fall, it is much easier to read. 

1 comment:

Brooke Matheson Memmott said...

Melissa-thanks for the fun post and for sharing the well-loved- flip-flop story. You should be like the Jared of Subway but be paid by Old Navy for really elevating a cheap product to another level! :)